The present building was purpose built in 1989 on one floor with large grounds comprising a generous field and playground. There is an amphitheatre, a sensory garden and a fruit/vegetable garden. There are five classrooms, a library and a hall.
Ashill VC Primary School seeks to create a challenging learning environment that encourages high expectations for success through teaching that allows for individual differences and learning styles. Our school promotes a safe, caring and supportive environment. Each child’s self-esteem is fostered by positive relationships with pupils and staff. We strive to have our parents, teachers and community actively involved in our pupils’ learning.
The first school in Ashill was built using funds raised by Reverend Bartholomew Edwards, and opened in 1848. Bartholomew has the distinction of appearing in the Guinness Book of Records as the longest serving incumbent of a single parish: he managed a total of 76 years, from 1813 to 1889!
In 1876 the school house and adjoining classroom were built by the National Society, and the name was changed to Ashill National School. A kitchen was added to the school in 1947, and in 1957 the school house was taken over by Norfolk Education Committee, only to be sold in 1979. A new, larger building was built behind this and was opened in 1989 by the Bishop of Lynn, The Right Reverend David Bentley.